About ICOMEstablished in 2003, following the UGC's Promotion of Indian Higher Education Abroad (PIHEAD), the ICOM aims to be a 'single window' for international students and scholars to pursue their studies and research at the University of Madras and its affiliated institutions. We have a well-equipped office situated in the nerve centre of the University in ground floor of the Library Block.
The international students at the University of Madras hail from: USA, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Kenya, Sudan, Tanzania, Mauritius, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, China, Fiji, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, etc.
Mission of ICOMFacilitating and developing strategic links with other institutions of higher learning and participating in internationalization of higher education and research.
- To promote the understanding of 'the other' through the exchanges, both cultural and academic.
- To enable Indian students to experience international education through exchange programmes / visits / Digital Video Conferences.
- To enhance the scholarly pursuits of University and overseas faculties with appropriate exchanges.
- To promote qualitative research by becoming a part of the global joint research teams conducting research in frontier areas
- To develop the teaching - learning process by including latest technological advances and addressing scientific, social, economic, political and cultural problems of India and abroad by promoting comparative studies in the curriculum
- To encourage interaction with overseas delegations.